Posted by: bkropf | November 22, 2007

Turkey Trot

Nathan woke me up early this Thanksgiving morning and the weather was freezing cold. I know you are probably thinking, “Hasn’t Barney just been complaining for the past few posts about sweating in the Dallas heat?” Yes I have been in the heat, however, last night the weather turned ridiculously cold.

Why is Nathan waking me up so early…to go on a Turkey Trot. Not any old fun run, this is the largest in the world, or at least the United States. We were going to take the train into town until we realized the train runs irregular schedules on Thanksgiving. Now we were late for the race so we drove down to the Dallas convention center and frantically ran through the streets trying to find where to register. I was complaining about how cold it was and that I didn’t feel like I could run 3 miles. Nathan was trying to tell me he didn’t care and that I needed to man up.

Nathan ran the 8 mile race and took off nearly as soon as we had registered. I joined the minions waiting for the 3 miler. I popped in my ear buds and waited in line listening to The Flaming Lips. The gun went off and all of a sudden nothing happened. Seriously, when 30,000 (literally) are running it takes forever to get to the starting line and I was in the way back. About 20 minutes into the race I finally reached the starting line.

Being in the back, I started out with the people carrying thing: Backpacks, dogs, children, larges amounts of weight. I started to run. I had to weave frantically inbetween the hoards. After a while of running I got to the people with small children, people wearing turkey costumes and people with dogs. I continued to dodge the people in front of me and made it up to people who were trotting along and figured that was my pace.

I trotted along for a while happily listening to my music and trying not to step in all the dog poop. It was really nice, every mile there was a band playing music. Surprisingly, the race was over quickly and I was set about trying to find Nathan. I was pretty happy, I ran the whole time. My goal was to be able to run three miles before I went home, so since I have met the goal, maybe I should increase it.

We drove over to Nathan’s brother house after the race for Thanksgiving dinner. That is actually where I am now and it is going very well. Of course, I wish I could be home with my family, however, this is the next best thing.

I dropped off Randy at the Airport the other day. It was really sad to see him go. We truly lived the dream together for two weeks. We agreed we would both try to live the dream separately.

Things are going well in Texas and I am really enjoying it.



  1. We didn’t have a turkey trot here so much as a “let’s see who can sleep in the latest”…

    Good news though… I won!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: